February 04, 2023
Steps to Maintain Your Evaporative Air Cooler
One of the great benefits of an evaporative air cooler is its simple maintenance. Whether you want to keep your air cooler operating at peak performance during the year or you’re about to store the unit away for the season, you can read on to learn more about evaporative air cooler maintenance.
- When performing maintenance on your evaporative air cooler, always switch off the air cooler and unplug it from the electrical source.
- At least once a week, drain the water tank completely and refill it with fresh water. This will greatly reduce mineral deposits and help to extend the life of the honeycomb cooling media.
- To clean the media, remove and rinse it with warm water. If you notice any buildup, you can use a soft brush on the media once it’s dry to clean it.
- The frequency of how often you clean the honeycomb cooling media will depend on air and water quality as well as running time.
- If it’s time to store your air cooler for the season or if you’re just not going to use it for a long time:
- Ensure all parts are dry by running your cooler on fan-only mode for 1-2 hours.
- If the unit is connected to a continuous water supply, you must switch off the water supply and remove the drain tube before draining the water tank.
- Switch off the air cooler and unplug it from the power supply.
- Clean the water tank with a damp cloth to wipe away any dust or mineral deposits.
- Remove the honeycomb cooling media and carbon dust filter (if present) from the air cooler and rinse under fresh water to remove dust and dirt
- Replace the honeycomb cooling media and carbon dust filter after they’re clean and dry
- To protect the unit from dust, moisture, and scratches, cover with a clean cloth or tarp before storing.
- Coil the power cord and store it away from the floor to protect it.
- Store this unit at room temperature in a dry location, away from direct sunlight and/or very hot, cold, or damp environments.